Wednesday, February 17, 2010

..let's give this another try shall we?..

So pretty much I bailed on my New Year's Resolutions pretty early into the year (shocking no? No.) So over the past few days I have realized that there are a few things that I need to make an EXTRA SUPER effort at and recommit to. So here I am. If I write it down, it makes it more real. Right?

Recommitment: Work.
Sometimes I am super driven and really good at following through with things. Sometimes... I am lazy. And I have been getting more and more lazy over the last couple of months. We are in this weird transition right now and one of the girls I work with KIND OF (read: ABSOLUTELY) makes me want to stab her in the neck with a dull pencil. So I am losing a lot of steam to actually want to get things accomplished. Good news is that she is transitioning to another role so hopefully (fingers crossed), she will be out of my hair and actually let me do my job. I really LOVE LOVE LOVE what I do. It's constantly changing and I love that. I don't get bored and people really make me feel like I make a contribution here, which is different from every other job that I've had. So I just need to get recommitted and stop focusing on possibly violent acts I could commit to said co worker. :)

Recommitment: Dieting.
AHHHHHH! I hate dieting. (Or not dieting, "change of lifestyle"). Usually if I start something, I'm pretty good about following through. Of course, the ONE thing that I NEED to follow through on the most, is the hardest for me. Dammit. I know I can do this. I just need to do it. I need to take a page out of Jessica's book and stuff my fridge with healthy (and not quite as delicious) food choices. So there's that.

Recommitment: Facebook.
No no silly peeps, I don't need to recommit TO Facebook. I need to take a step away from the book. I check it constantly. It's an addiction. So I am going to limit myself to checking it every other day and taking the FB notifications off my phone. I spend (read: waste) SOOOO much time on there it is ridiculous. FACEBOOK DOES NOT CONTROL ME!!!! ;)

Recommitment: Exercise.
Boooooo! When I was going to the gym with Brandon last year, I was soooo good about going everyday. We always had so much fun that it didn't seem like a work out as much to me. Another obstacle is I HATE just walking on a treadmill or stupid eliptical machine. Staring at a wall/tv/someone else for an hour is NOT good times. So I need to research some classes or something to do so that the thought of working out isn't what I dread everyday. A dance class or something.

Recommitment: Friendship.
I take pride in being a good friend. I love my friends and try to do what I can to help them and be there for them. But I had a gut check the other day that I'm not always a good friend to ALL my friends. I tend to have 1 or 2 people that I'm really close to at any given time, and I focus ALL my energy and loyalty to them. Which in turn makes me cancel plans, and kind of stop making efforts in other relationships in my life. There is one person in particular right now who I used to be super close to, who has been there for me more than anyone else in the world. Over the last 4 or 5 months, I've kind of let things fizzle out with him and I really need to make an effort to be a better friend to him. I have to learn from my mistakes. If you make one person your whole life, it's going to be a lonely day when (if for some reason) that person is no longer in your life. So I need to just be a more consistant friend to everyone and NOT just the people who are in my life on a daily basis.

Recommitment: Independence.
This is a big one for me. I've always, always struggled with this. I have a hard time being by myself. I like alone time, but it has to be when I choose to be alone, and not when I can't find anyone to do anything with. I've never been able to make decisions without running it past someone. I always need someone to validate my opinion and to validate me. I can't keep using friends/family/etc to be my crutch. I can't depend on anyone to "keep me in check" when it comes to dieting and exercising. I can't depend on anyone to make me pay my bills. I can't depend on anyone to tell me how to cut my hair or how to decorate my apartment or anything. I need to be able to do these things by myself. I'm 25 years old. It's time to cut the cord. I can't keep clinging to people and let other people define me.

This is OBVIOUSLY going to be a work in progress. But there it is.

2 comments:

Robbie and Darcy said...

You are awesome! Those are some awesome goals. Just take one thing at a time, and take it easy. Good luck! I thought I could probably copy and paste most of that and take out the word "damnit" and it would be me! :) haha! jk! Don't worry I will always be here to tell you how to cut your hair! :)

Jessica Kennedy said...

You can do it. you will do it. You are doing it.

Let me know if I can assist you at all! I'm going to make a recipe book of all my low-calorie foods, so I'll give you a copy as soon as its finished!