Tuesday, June 29, 2010

..it's not about who you've known the longest. It's about who came and never left your side...

We all know that I am a huge fan of quotes. Tonight I was talking to a friend and we were talking about connections with people, and this quote came to mind:

"It's not about who you've known the longest. It's about who came and never left your side"

I've heard it before. Many times. For some reason, it really resonated with me tonight. I know that a lot of people put so much emphasis on how long they've been friends with someone. I've had arguments with friends in the past about loyalties and "oh I've known you longer, you should be on my side through this and this and this" (a constant struggle with my latest ex best friend). Does length of time mean everything?

Sometimes you meet someone and have an instant connection with them. It's kind of inexplicable. Just a friend that from the moment you meet them, you feel extremely comfortable with them. It's almost like you don't have to lay the groundwork for a really good friendship - it's already there.

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of people in my life right now who I have good relationships with that I've known for years, but for the most part, the people I'm closest to in my life right now, I've known a little over a year, maybe shorter than that. They are just such good people that as soon as I met them, I knew that they were meant to be in my life. They made me realize that I shouldn't settle for sub par friendships in my life and that I CERTAINLY shouldn't settle for people who don't bring anything positive to my life.

So whilst sometimes you do have those friends who you've known your whole life, who you will continue to have good friendships with throughout your life, it doesn't always mean everything. More than likely, it's LESS the amount of time you've known that person and MORE about the kind of person they are. That is where loyalty comes from.

No comments: